Quantity Surveying (32 PDH)
11 February, 2019 - 08 April, 2019
This is a Professional Development Distance Program Course. These are scheduled with a start and end date.
Looking for professional development but do not have the time to take off from work?
Looking for refresher course on specific engineering topics and cannot find an intensive course to serve your needs?
This may be your ideal Professional Development course!
Find out more on how the Professional Development Distance Program (PDDP) may work for you - Click here
This course is 8 weeks in duration.
The PDDP program is more of a self-guided learning style.
You are required to read the notes and materials given, complete the follow-up assignments on your own, send in your questions prior to your 1 hour webinar meeting (if required) and be involved in live discussion via the internet.
Once you have completed the course, you will receive a certificate of completion
- One of the essential steps for an estimator in bid documents preparation is to be able to measure and quantify the works to be executed. During planning phase of projects, estimators need to understand how to generate a Bill of Quantities that would be used for pricing/breaking down project price. To achieve that, estimators must be knowledgeable on how to conduct quantity surveying accurately for all materials within any project. This course offers you the knowledge of different measurement tools and units, how to extract information from blueprints/CAD files, how to develop spreadsheets for documentation, and how to achieve this in a timely/professional manner.
The student will be able to:
• Identify the units used for each material within the project.
• Understand different component of work needed
• Extract and detail measurements from blueprints related to all tasks
• Apply different roles and standards for measurements
• Prepare a complete Bill of Quantity (BOQ)
• Utilize different spreadsheets to expedite development of BOQ in a timely and professional manner.
• Prepare progress payment certificates using BOQ
Dr. Mohamed Nazief
Instructor: Dr. Mohammed Nazief, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mohammed Nazief is a professional structural engineer with APEGA with more than 15 years of experience in design of structures. He graduated in 2004 from Structural Section, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University, with honor. After graduation, Mohammed had worked in numerous projects, large in scale and budget which includes Steel, Concrete, wood and masonry Structure. Mohammed had a Master Degree in Structural Engineering from the same university. He got his PhD from the University of Alberta in masonry structures. He is an expert in finite element modelling, producing/detailing of structures, and performing quantity estimate for projects based on blueprints and CAD drawings.
1. Introduction to Quantity surveying (Basic math skills)
a. Basic geometries
b. Area computation
c. Perimeter computation
d. Excavation techniques
2. Identifying units needed for different projects
a. Consistency in units
b. Definition of scale
c. Measuring from scaled drawings
d. Converting between different scales
3. Obtaining information from blueprints/CAD files
a. Identify required information from drawings
b. Linking drawings together to get necessary information
c. Linking information with specs and general notes
4. Identifying quantities from available information
a. Choosing the appropriate unit for quantity computation
b. Quantity take-off formate
c. Determining the quantity of materials from different drawings
d. Accounting for waste in computing the quantities
5. Price project based on market price for material
a. Identifying the price of each material
b. Linking the quantity surveying to the market price
c. Determining price of material per usage
6. Reflecting labour cost in BOQ development
a. Union regulation
c. Identify the number of hours needed to complete work
d. Provide an overall cost for performance of work.
GIC reserves the right to cancel or change the date or location of its events. GIC's
responsibility will, under no circumstances, exceed the amount of the fee collected.
GIC is not responsible for the purchase of non-refundable travel arrangements or
accommodations or the cancellation/change fees associated with cancelling them.
Please call to confirm that the course is running before confirming travel arrangements
and accommodations. Please click here for complete policies.
Each participant will receive a complete set of course notes and handouts that will
serve as informative references.
Request a New Location
Quantity Surveying (32 PDH)
We can offer our courses in new locations, or customer prefered locations. If you
would like to have the course of your choice offered in a new location, submit this
form, include your contact information.
This course can be customized and delivered on-site at your facility.