Distance - Surveying (04-Geom-A1)
04 February, 2019 - 15 April, 2019
This Distance Education course is scheduled to start on the specified date.
- Busy with your work schedule?
- Can not attend training within week days?
- Looking for refresher course on specific engineering topics and can not find an intensive course to serve your needs?
- This course might be the right thing to meet your needs!
Basic principles; instruments and procedures for angle, distance and height measurements; plane coordinate computations such as intersections, resections, traverses; coordinate transformation; simple horizontal and vertical curves; area and volume computations; crosssections and profiles; setting-out surveys; pre-analysis, design and planning of precise surveys for horizontal and vertical control; principles of electronic distance and angle measurements; total stations; propagation of EM energy in the atmosphere and its application to EM ranging; theodolite observations and precise positioning systems; sources of errors in angle, distance and precision levelling surveys; influence of atmospheric refraction. Systematic and random errors, design, processing and analysis of angle, distance, and height difference measurements. Route survey and design; surveys for route planning, setting-out and as-built surveys, easement curves, alignment and grade for roads, sewers and pipelines, bridges, buildings, dams, tunnels, mining.
- Anderson, M.J., and E.M. Mikhail, Surveying: Theory and Practice. McGraw Hill, (7th Edition), 1998.
- Wolf, P.R., and C.D. Ghilani, Elementary Surveying. An Introduction to Geomatics. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (10th Edition), 2002.
- Moffitt, F.H. and H. Bouchard, Surveying. 9th edition. Harper & Row Publishers, 1992. ISBN 0065000595.
- Brinker, R.C. and P. Wolf, Elementary Surveying. 9th edition. Harper-Row, 1984. ISBN 0065003993.
- Kissam, P., Surveying for Civil Engineers. 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill Book Co. Inc., 1981. ISBN 0070348820.
- Kavanagh, B.F., Surveying Principles and Applications. Prentice Hall, New Jersey (6th Edition), 2003.
*Course commencement date is subject to instructor availability.
Find out more information about the Distance courses and exam preparation here.
The distance education program works as follows:
- Each course is 8-12 weeks in duration.
- You will receive a set of notes each week covering the course material via the internet. In addition, you will receive practice problems and assignments very similar to the associations' past exams.
- A one hour video-conference session will be conducted by your instructor each week. The objective of this session is to assist in solving the assignments as well as answer student questions that should be sent to instructor early enough prior to the meeting time. In addition with being able to communicate with the instructor, you will also be able to communicate with other students in the same class and watch their questions answered as well. A high speed internet connection is strongly recommended for this feature.
- Each set of assignments must be completed and submitted by the indicated date and your completed assignment will be marked and returned by your instructor.
- Upon completion of the assignments, you will be sent a final exam. It is recommended that you try to simulate the actual exam conditions (i.e., no aids and a time limit) when writing it. You will then submit this final exam for review and marking.
- To gain the most from your course, it is highly recommended that you participate fully in all discussions and assignments. Please remember that each course has 8-12 weeks duration and set dates for assignments to be submitted and a set date to submit the final exam. You will be informed of these dates when you receive the course schedule.
Technical Exam Preparation Program –Distance Education (via the Internet)
Global Innovative Campus “GIC-Canada” offers technical exam preparation courses for the following association examinations:
Our courses syllabi are based on the Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (CCPE) - Engineers Canada curriculum. Each course is an interactive program that you can complete over the internet right from your computer, with the option of two-way live video or audio. (minimum system requirements needed)
We offer P. Eng. Exam Preparation services:
Technical P.Eng. exams preparation (Distance Education)
Record of Experience, resume and Interview documentation Preparation
NPPE - National Professional Practice Exam preparation
GIC reserves the right to cancel or change the date or location of its events. GIC's
responsibility will, under no circumstances, exceed the amount of the fee collected.
GIC is not responsible for the purchase of non-refundable travel arrangements or
accommodations or the cancellation/change fees associated with cancelling them.
Please call to confirm that the course is running before confirming travel arrangements
and accommodations. Please click here for complete policies.
Each participant will receive a complete set of course notes and handouts that will
serve as informative references.
Request a New Location
Distance - Surveying (04-Geom-A1)
We can offer our courses in new locations, or customer prefered locations. If you
would like to have the course of your choice offered in a new location, submit this
form, include your contact information.
This course can be customized and delivered on-site at your facility.